October-November and Thanksgiving (2016)

I am catching up here for posterity's sake.  Or something like that.  Because today I have a strong urge to feel complete and up to date with one area of my life.  At the very least.   And if I am being honest with myself my "1" wing is needing order and the "should's" are loud in my head.  So, because  I know that our family blog history would be incomplete without covering the months of October and November of 2016 here we go.

What even happened in October, other than Halloween?  I always revert to my photo stream when preparing one of these back logged posts.  They are helpful in sparking some recollection of the past and what was.  I do know that we returned to Franklin with one less Thing and that left a hole in my heart that I don't believe any Mama is ever prepared for.  This was not a new rodeo for me, Thing 1 had been gone for 7 months before too, but there was a visit mid way through.  With Thing 2 I knew there wouldn't be.  That meant Christmas without her and Thanksgiving and New Years and Valentine's Day, well, you get the picture.  Moving on.

In October Thing 3 landed herself a job with Starbucks.  She sported the green apron and began her new role as a partner and she's been there ever since.  There were a few family hikes, the weather here in middle TN is gorgeous this time of year and rather inviting.  We make our best effort to enjoy the outdoors and all things nature and fall related.  There was pumpkin picking at the Farmer's market, outdoor Eno camp outs, Pumpkin Fest on our favorite Main Street, walks and footie matches too, of course.  Then I went on a little excursion all by myself to MN for a conference and spent the weekend with my dear friend.  Her sweet family welcomed me and I was spoiled by their gracious hospitality.  The time together was a gift and the memories made a treasure for certain.  I returned home in time for our traditional chili and s'mores on Halloween night.  The Things all dressed up, Thing 4 made the most of his last year of trick or treating and we greeted neighbors with a bonfire and jack o lanterns.

Family hike.

Eno Camp out.

Painted faces at Pumpkin Fest.

Cousin giggles. 

Footie Sunday.

Halloween bonfire and s'mores.

Carving pumpkins.

My Scarecrow, vampire and painted face man-child.

November came, as expected and a presidential election stood in the limelight.  This was Thing 1's first time voting and we marked the occasion with smiles and celebratory coffee.  We had normal days filled with games and family dinners around the table.  Husband Jared and I went for a quick jaunt to ATL for our Global Entry interviews, which of course included some delicious food and live music.  There was hot chocolate and an early Christmas tree search.  The girls and I went on a weekend trip to Indianapolis to surprise Thing 3's friend from MN.  We were reunited with some old friends from AZ and just like that it was a weekend to remember.  It was a full month.

Christmas tree searching.  Or sibling fight, you be the judge. 

Voting day!

Walk to ice cream! 

Thing 4 inspecting a furry caterpillar.  


And all the while Thing 2 was traveling the world.  I loved seeing her smile. 

In ATL.  

This pup really missed Thing 2.  

Thing 3 and Taylor.  

Downtown Indie.

Girly snuggle time at the Porter's house!  

Thanksgiving was held at Gpa and Mama's house this year.  We held our usual pie prep the night before  and Thing 1 made vegan pumpkin pie tarts, Thing 3 and I helped with the pecan chocolate chip pie and pumpkin cheesecake.  The next morning we were ready for the Macy's parade and brunch at home in our jammies.  Thing 4 shaved for the first time.  Ever.   The girls and Mema made their lefse and Thing 4 made his corn casserole.  We watched football, sat on the dock and enjoyed a lovely meal around the table and played cards.  A sacred time of sharing and being grateful and present.

Lefse making.  

Mema and Thing 4 in the kitchen together.

Our feast.

Gpa, Mema and 3 of 4 Things.

"Friendly" game of GOLF, with a side of pie.  

Black Friday viewing of Gilmore Girls, compete with Lorelei and Rory's favorites, after the traditional shopping of course.  

And just like that November ended.  December was on her heels and we were ready!

Comments

Popular Posts