Happiness List

I have been pondering for some time the idea of happiness.  Now don't think I will be getting philosophical on here or anything, I won't.  What I am going to do is create a list of things that make me happy and a list of things that do not make me happy.  Sounds easy enough.  Wrong.  At least not for me.  Happiness is a convoluted concept that means something different to everyone.  What makes me smile and feel warm and fuzzy may not be the same for you.  Or it might be. 

I recently read somewhere that emotions follow actions.  Therefore if I behave in a way that I enjoy will that mean I will be happy?  First it would seem I would need to decide what would make me happy to begin with so that I could go about acting that out.  No?  This is usually when my brain becomes fuzzy and I chuck it all and just tell myself to get on with life.  Please do not misunderstand this post.  I do not think that I was created to be happy.  Not in the least.  I do however think that by knowing myself and what triggers discontent I could be more effective.  I would hope. 

Is this making sense?  I think I may have lost myself here.  Alright moving on.  Here is my list.  At least at this very moment what I know about myself to be linked to true happiness.

1. getting lost in a book, I love to read
2. baking, not cooking so much, baking!
3. eating, always happy while I am doing so, not always happy afterward
4. traveling, with Husband Jared, with the Things
5. learning something new
6. receiving compliments
7. a clean space
8. making those I love happy
9. taking pictures
10. playing cards with the Things
11. roasting marshmallows
12. hiking, being in nature
13. intentional conversations with others


Things I know that make my unhappy.
1. messes, they cause much anxiety
2. not knowing
3. disrupted plans, for as flexible as I think I am, I do have a certain expectation
4. whiny children
5. when I don't get something I think I deserve, working on this one, I sound like a spoiled child
6. being told "no"
7. guilt, the feelings after I know I have done something I didn't want to do
8. not understanding something intellectual
9. feelings of inadequacy
10. not measuring up, usually to my own standards

And what about you, what makes you happy?  Do tell.  I'm curious.

Comments



  1. Things that make me happy.
    1. Cooking I love to cook, for me not so much baking.
    2. Traveling on the Motorcycle with husband Ron.
    3. Spending time with loved ones.
    4. fellowship with friends over food and sometimes games.
    5. Sitting with my husband watching a good movie.

    Things that make me not so happy.
    1. Messes, being disorganized this causes me lost of anxiety.
    2. Not being able to do something physically.
    3. Not being able to ride my own motorcycle.

    these are a few of my happy and unhappy things.
    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mema, thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts