The Baby is Sixteen

Yes, my man child is sixteen years old.  He is a licensed driver in the US and he has hairy legs.  It's true.  And he still hugs his Mama, holds the door open for me and will occasionally carry me if necessary.  Thing 4 is one thoughtful teenager.  He is also full of energy, embraces life and all it brings with a vivaciousness that is contagious and somewhat overwhelming for those of us that just need some time to process.  When he walks into a room people notice, quite possibly because he is walking on his hands, attempting to par core the door frame or telling one of his infamous jokes, either way he is a force to be reckoned with.  He bears light wherever he goes and frankly this world could use a bit more of that.  Tenderhearted and inclusive Thing 4 seeks out those younger than him and wraps his arms and his humor around them.  He can diffuse any situation, whether inappropriately or not.  I have a difficult time maintaining my angry eyes when he smiles at me.

All that said, I am here in a new country writing a letter to my Thing 4 as he enters the year of sixteen.  As if fifteen wasn't full of changes and growth you are beginning this new year internationally.  Learning to navigate German, Austrian culture and possibly a football club here as well.  Public transport is your means of travel these days, no license here to drive yourself.  Thing 4 this past year you traveled to Costa Rica with Royal Servants and learned many lessons.  Including how to serve in a selfless way, allowing Jesus to fill the space between what is needed and what is available.  Your leadership underwent some refining and you gained a new friend and mentor that has poured into your life in countless ways.  Friendships grew, others fell away and your character withstood some testing.  We had family trips, you had camp outs with your friends, even in the cold of winter.  You hung on rope swings over the river in the summer and skate boarded throughout Franklin.  There was rock climbing up high in the hills of TN with the Horel's, shooting guns at the range, babysitting cousins and even a trip to a football academy in GA.  Countless hours of training and kick arounds and yes, see you laters as we prepared for our move.  You conquered the bowling lanes and even bowled a 222, impressive.  I've seen your writing flourish in the academic world and I dare say that you've discovered the subjects you prefer and a few that you don't necessarily like.  You rode a horse with your sister for the first time, held babies, been a referee on the pitch, had a crush, ate at a proper steak house and won your age division in our family 5K race for Mercy Clinic!  Not to mention you were the defensive player of the year for your HS team. Well done.  You claimed your drivers permit as well as your license in the same year, took a cooking class with the family and we all bid farewell to our beloved pup, Polo.

I pray that through all of it and because of it you have learned to press into Jesus more than anything else.  This world will tempt you, taunt you and deceive you, standing firm on your foundation will never be easy but it will always be worth it.  Trust me on that one.  And if you don't believe me, ask others and question often.  I do think that is the only way to claim your faith for yourself.  Question.  Search and read.  Surround yourself with people different from you.  The journey is part of the process and it will fill your story and expand it in unknown ways.  Please do not listen to the lies, you are never too much or too loud or too anything.  You are uniquely you, created in the image of a perfect Father who doesn't make mistakes.  You have a purpose and calling that only you are able to fulfill.  I pray that is revealed to you clearly, with wisdom and discernment.  I pray that when you are tempted you find a way out.  I pray that your heart remains pure.  I pray for all that you consider important and worth fighting for.  I pray that when no one else stands up that you choose to.  I pray you take the long and narrow road, not looking to the left or right but running your race, no one else can.  And if you've ever wondered, I want you to know that I am so grateful I was chosen to be your Mama.  I know I say it every year here in these letters, but I am.  It is a calling that I do not take lightly, one I've both failed at and had some wins, nonetheless I will continue to give it my everything;  Everyday you and I walk this earth together.  You are a gift.  Happy birthday son, and as we say, here's to the year of 16 and all that awaits you.  Press in, have adventures, celebrate, make space for quiet, love big and learn something everyday.

(Photo by Carissa Rasmdell)

I love you more than words, Machupichu. xo

Comments

Popular Posts