Snowshoeing in the Alps


The title should actually read a snow shoeing experience like no other.  Because, well, it wasn't like anything else I have ever done.   What started off as an innocent invitation from a new friend turned out to be a memorable adventure.  Thing 3 and I accepted said invitation for a day spent in the Austrian Alps, trekking the mountain terrain, having a picnic lunch and communing with nature.  Then the conditions took an unexpected turn and once we were above the tree line mother nature had her way with us.  The ascent was simple enough, mostly.  And the views stunning, truly.  But let me just state here that Thing 3 and I both considered finding the chair lift and taking that down, or maybe if we had known about it, taking that up.  That wasn't an option though and I can say now on the other side of it that I am thankful it wasn't.  What we gained from walking over 18,000 steps and seven miles was well worth it.  Even the flying, I mean sliding, down the hill gracefully because the snow pack didn't allow any other way.  I had one grace filled slide and the rest resembled a cartoon.  Poles flying in the air, snow shoes crooked and flinging snow every which way.  Frightening, really.  At least for those behind me.  We pressed on.  Meandering our way through the forest, sometimes on a trail, other times forging our own way.  Up and down the mountain, to a plateau, and then maybe even a sideways walk and then flat land.  There was a pause for a picnic lunch.  A sandwich shared with Pif, the guide's mascot dog.  He gave me something to aspire to.  Chasing down the snow banks, rolling in delight and pursuing the hut.



Still smiling.


Somewhere either before or after the crazy mountain top experience.


Beautiful but zero visibility.

Let's go there;  An Alpen snow hut straight out of a movie.  No kidding.  It was dark wood and forest green with a carved roof line, an old bar with crocks of soup homemade no doubt by the sweet elderly couple greeting us with bewildered smiles.  There were mini bottles of Jaeger and Schnapps lining the shelves and it was in that instant that I understood why people drink such harsh liquors.  To warm up.  I was chilled to the bone by the time we arrived and even though I don't prefer either of those the thought of warming up was quite appealing to me.  If that would have actually done the trick I might have indulged.  Though, there was the reminder that we still had to make it down the mountain.  True that.  I cupped my coffee mug and relished the warmness felt within the walls of the hut.  Our group shared pictures and stories and dog tales.  It was special.  These sort of adventures have a way of bringing that out in people.  Everyone has a story to tell and they are just waiting for you to ask them.  So ask.  I learned so much.  There were three other women, one Dutch, one from Hong Kong, another American and then our guide was French.  All parties have lived in various countries spanning the globe, speak other languages and have life experiences worth listening to.  Thing 3 and I were captivated.  I do not believe there was a moment of silence from the time we loaded into the bus and departed for the mountain to our return to the city.  Non stop sharing and listening and nodding and laughing too.


Our guide, Yannick and his trusty side kick Pif!

By the time we had made our descent and come to the open valley where we had begun our trek I was in disbelief.  The sun was shining, the temperature had warmed from the higher altitude and I stood there in awe of God's creation.  Literally, with my mouth open and gaping every which way I turned.  Snow was bending the branches of the pine trees, clouds were dancing with the sun and the snow cover was sparkling.  Showing off if you will.  I was proud of Thing 3 for persevering and we were spent in the very best way.  And I slept like I hadn't in a very long time.  I felt satisfied and accomplished and my muscles ached from a day of working hard.  Nature does that for me.  It really does a soul good to get above it all.  The noise, the congestion, the everyday and all the demands of life.  Being removed is healthy and necessary for me.  And this day was such a gift.


Almost done.

And we're done!  Literally, we were getting ready to load up in the van for our drive back to the city.  Whew!  

Here's where we were:  all the stats for our day.
Stuhleck (1783m) in the Fischbacher Alps, belonging to the central alpine chain
Beginning at Pfaffensattel pass at 1370m, along the south flanks of Stuhleck, to the north flanks with a reprieve at Karl Lechner hut (1450m) and finally to Alois Günther hut at 1783m, and then back down the south flanks to the trail head

Comments

Popular Posts