Ah, Vienna in Spring.

It's been a hot minute since I've spent some time here with you all.  My apologies.  March was the month of unexpected travel.  As in I was away from Austria for three entire weeks.  House guests left and then three days later or so I was on a plane.  Then I returned and we had more house guests.  Then those lovely people returned to their home and the following week more friends arrived in Vienna, our beautiful city.  Now I am in a twelve day in between period.  That is twelve days until Pop and Nan are here.  For three weeks.  Yes, the Hanson BnB has been fully booked.  And me, well I am soaking it in and also taking this gloriously sunny Saturday to process and catch up and check in with myself.  Do you ever feel like you're a bit disconnected from your person?  Ok, good.  It's not just me.  This morning I intentionally had nothing scheduled, with the exception of a bike ride into city center to score some bagels for Easter breakfast.  Lo and behold the purple cycle monster had other plans.  Her tires were flat and we do not own a pump so my left foot and my righty were today's mode of transport.  Once the bagels were procured I continued walking and decided, rather spontaneously, to duck into a coffee shop and order a flat white and a slice of banana peanut butter bread.  Yes, you read that right.  Me, coffee, sweet treat for breakfast and a view of the Votive Kirche in front of me.  Cue all the Vienna feels.  Seriously.  It was idyllic and I sat there.  Cupped my hands around my hot mug of goodness and took it in.  One deep breath after another.  Until I heard my heart beating again.  Then me and Kindle got down to it and four chapters later I looked up and noticed the city was waking up.  And with her rising all the peoples were out.  It seems as though everyone received the same memo from Ms. Sunshine.  Who could blame them?  A brilliant blue sky, not a cloud in sight, all the trees with tiny buds and green coming to life amidst a backdrop of Baroque architecture and neo-gothic cathedrals.  I mean, come on.  Vienna was stunning this morning and all I have to offer is a thank you.  An overflowing cup of gratitude for the city I live in and a morning to enjoy it to the fullest.  Goodness I sound all gushy and cliche-ish, but I honestly can't help myself.  Today was just one of those days.

I mention the checking in with myself because it has become a new found practice for me.  As a self professed enneagram two, giving to my people is what I do.  With that I also feel all their feelings and mine too.  Maybe the strangers walking by and for sure anyone I encounter that might need assistance while out.  Really.  On my walk this morning I was approached by two complete strangers seeking directional guidance.  Neither of whom I could assist.  Those that know me are most likely laughing right now.  I walk circles around this city because I am navigationally challenged.  Anyhow, one I was most certain I couldn't help but the other it took me a minute and then as I was walking away I realized that I knew exactly where she needed to be.  I am sure you can predict what happened next.  Yes.  I turned right around and hoofed it back to help said tourist.  Feeling rather proud of myself for recognizing another's need one might assume I felt satisfied.  Sadly, no.  All I could think about was the woman I was unable to help.  Thoughts of her aimlessly riding the wrong train, not finding another English speaker or ending up in Salzburg crossed my mind while I continued on my way.  However, I was able to let that go unusually quickly.  A new accomplishment.  Thus further proof that this process is moving forward.  Maybe, just maybe.

At my one person make shift table outside the coffee shop today I exhaled.  Minutes before I made small talk with the barista.  Apologized for my lack of German as we switched to English.  He quickly told me there was no need to say sorry.  It caught me off guard a bit.  I smiled and exhaled again.  No pressure.  A grace offering from a stranger.  The favor returned from kindness shared earlier that morning?  Possibly.  Either way, the air seemed a bit sweeter.  I noticed.  Then I continued the process.  Breathing.  Reading.  Thinking.  Pausing for me.

Comments

Popular Posts