Really, Ten Chambray Shirts?

I don't want to assume, but I am going to, that most of you reading this have heard of or are familiar with the term, "slow fashion" or "ethical shopping".  Yes?  OK, good.  In the rare event that you have not, let me offer a brief definition.  Slow fashion, in an off the cuff description, is the process of choosing clothing and goods in a sustainable way, which covers everything from the source of materials to the manufacturing methods and compensation or wages for those that are producing.  That being said, I am no expert.  I am on a journey learning and striving to do better through the choices I make as a consumer.

My collision of conscience came in late 2017 as our family was in the throes of preparing for an international move.  A move that would require significant downsizing across the board.  I remember specifically the day I began to clean out my wardrobe.  I threw everything on my bed.  Literally.  I dumped drawers of undergarments, socks, accessories and all hanging items.  Not every article of clothing remained there.  Most slid off without fanfare to the floor and puddled at my feet.  Feeling slightly overwhelmed, I found myself paralyzed.   The room began to spin ever so slightly.  Panic was calling and I crumbled.  Surveying the heaps before me I knew then that something needed to change.  More than anything I wanted to begin this new adventure in a simplistic manner.  Less clothing, less furniture, less stuff in general.  For me, that meant choosing the items that I loved.  Now it sounds so silly to me to say I "love" a particular thing.  What I mean when I say "love" in reference to an item is that I wear it often, it was gifted to me and has a special meaning or it truly is an article of clothing or an accessory that makes me smile when I wear it.  Somewhere within those parameters is where I began tossing these things to the wayside.  Let me preface my tactics here; frenzied and emotional decisions were made.  I was ruthless.  Seriously.  I might have startled myself at times.  And this is why, while I don't particularly enjoy shopping I do like finding a deal at Anthropologie on some Bohemian blouse or dress.  I like perusing the racks and stumbling upon the "just right" or "that's so you" outfit.  All for a less than designer price, of course.  Those methods caused my closet to be filled with darling things but also a superfluous amount of clothing that hadn't been worn in months and the opposite too, shirts and skirts, dresses and trendy pants that were thread bare because they were my absolute favorites.  So I chose to start over, somewhat.  I gave away things that I hadn't worn, shipped clothes to a far away friend, invited my sister in law to shop my closet, or rather my bedroom floor, and I sold the remnants to second hand stores.  What was left found its way to Goodwill.  Then the re-stocking and recreating plan was able to be put into effect.  Or something like that.

For our move we were all, the four of us, allotted one large suitcase for clothing.  That is all people.  Four seasons worth of gear, including unmentionables, in one place.  Ruthless packing skills required.  That, my friends, is not my forte.  Thus the deliberateness I enlisted in my sorting methods.  It wasn't only that though, I came to terms with some not so healthy habits.  Emotional shopping.  Shopping simply because there was a sale.  Purchasing because said article was at such a discount.  Name the justification means and I would rationalize until the sun set.   And then some. That, my friends, is how I found ten chambray shirts in my wardrobe.  Before you start judging, let me explain.  I had two sleeveless, a dark, a light, short sleeve and long sleeves, and of course a flowy, embroidered denim shirt as well.  Don't you?  I deemed these necessary items because a girl needs options!  Without the looming move the need for drastic measures would not have been as imminent.  Yet, they were.  And with that my focus on changing my habits became clear.  I had this opportunity for a redo if you will.  A valid reason to chuck it all and begin again.  Financially speaking I really couldn't throw it all out so I kept what I loved and what I consistently wore.  As pieces needed to be replaced or new items needed to be purchased I told my self that whenever possible I would choose to buy ethically.  Slowly.  And with a conscience effort towards the environment and the people of the industry.

The transformation has not been an easy one.  This upheaval, while forced into action by our move abroad, initially began after I read a few blogs and saw some pinned capsule wardrobes.  A curiosity struck and the ease with which these women styled themselves drew me in.  Monochromatic, versatile pieces that could easily be mixed and matched, streamlined shopping and less choices.  Sign me up!  The impending move was a catalyst in starting this adventurous endeavor.  I am by no means a poster child for the movement.  I have, however, found freedom in owning less.  Freedom in making decisions that reflect my values.  Not only has this philosophy permeated my closet but our entire household.  I am choosing these changes because it is stewarding well what has been given to me.  Doing what I can with what I have and leaving this world better than it was.  I feel a sense of responsibility.

Because I am an all or nothing kind of person this mindset crept into every area of my consumerism.  Household goods, personal care items, cleaning supplies, decor, food, storage containers, etc.  A zero waste lifestyle was not necessarily the goal.  An attention to how and why and where I spend my money was; Deliberate, thoughtful and in alignment with my values.  And since I have the ability to assess where I can make one small change here's what I am trying out with our current lifestyle; Some of these choices I haven't embraced wholeheartedly until this recent move abroad.  I bring my own shopping bags everywhere I go, otherwise I am charged for a paper or plastic bag.  I do not use plastic when purchasing fruit and veg.  There are recycling containers in the basement of our apartment for plastic, paper and even compost.  One block away from our home I can recycle glass, both clear and colored, and aluminum as well.  Most stores offer textile recycling and there are clothing and household good donation drops throughout our neighborhood.  Convenient.  I really have no excuse now.  Due to the space constraints here in our apartment my wardrobe has been significantly downsized.  So I try to implement the one in, one out rule.  If I do purchase a new clothing item I take one out that isn't being worn or doesn't suit my taste any longer.  Then I am taking inventory and seeing where that one quality piece would be worth the investment rather than the alternative, fast fashion piece.

What this movement has instilled in me, more than anything, is an awareness level and a mindful approach.  I now ask myself questions like, "do I really need another white t-shirt when I have one at home already?", or "those ten Euro linen shorts are darling, but is this a need or want?".   Aside from the cost, maybe I could wait another week and purchase the shorts that I really want instead.  The pair that was sustainably made by the company that is transparent about their wages and sourcing.  Of course, at times the impulse is victorious and that's OK too.  The mere fact that I am asking these questions and am able to consider a different way is progress in and of itself.  One baby step at at time.  So maybe that's where we all start.  With one pair of shoes from a manufacturer committed to renewable resourcing.  Using a recycled glass jar to transport your salad for lunch.  A reusable water bottle in place of a plastic one from the store.  Not asking for a straw at the restaurant.  One less chambray shirt, wink wink.  Taking your used make up containers to the store to be recycled.  A canvas bag for groceries kept in your purse just in case the need arises.

Let me break it down for you.  I still use plastic.  We have loads of furniture in our home that was purchased from IKEA.  Not every textile or linen, pillow or candle was made resourcefully, ethically or even with above par standards.  I do enjoy a binge purchase on an ever so darling shirt and I love me some Birkenstocks.  What I am trying to do is bring awareness to my consumption.  In all aspects.  Chances are I may not ever be green by the market's standards.  That is OK.  I am making my best effort.  One plastic baggy at a time.  And that is my encouragement to you.  Pick a cause.  One simple change to make, whether in your kitchen or your WC, maybe in your closet or with your means of transportation.  Slow living and ethical choices are readily available and at your disposal no matter your budget or lifestyle.  If you're interested in learning more there are countless resources at the click of a button.  Here are a few of my favorite sites, the ones I've learned from, the newsletters I subscribe to and the stores I shop at, for clothing and shoes, etc.  As for other ethical and zero waste products check out Pinterest and Amazon.  So many options!  And don't forget those local creators, small business owners both online and brick and mortar.  Explore!  Ask questions and get to know the community around you.  That's half the fun of this mission, connecting with creators and entrepreneurs and learning from each other.



The Good Trade- a collection of best practises and sites to purchase from, across the board, and an informative newsletter.

ABLE, one of my absolute favs! And a Nashville Co.

Everlane, a leader in the industry.

Nisolo







Comments

Popular Posts