Limitless...One Man's Run and My Feelings About It

If you are a news watcher, sports enthusiast, an elite runner, or Sunday jogger in your own right, then you are most likely aware of Eliud Kapchoge and his recent accomplishment in my hometown of Vienna, Austria.  Eliud, with the support of forty one pace runners, INEOS and Nike completed a marathon in under two hours.  The official time was clocked at 1:49:40.2.  Let that sink in for a moment.  In less time than a typical movie at the theatre this man ran 26.2 miles, or 42.195 kilometers.  Can you even?  I certainly can't.  I believe the world record for a marathon prior to Eliud's feat was one he himself set at the Berlin marathon in 2018: 2:01:39.  Mind you, the time set on October 12th will not be recognized as an "official" world record.  Because the event was specifically designed and optimal conditions were manufactured to boost results, the time will only be referred to as the day Eliud broke his own world record time, not an official record setting event.   Does that even mater?  I will tell you on that foggy morning in October, nothing seemed to matter less.

For over a month I watched the Prater, specifically the Hauptallee, the road which Eliud ran a majority of his kilometers on, be transformed into a racer's dream.  Professionals repaved sections of  the street, cables were ran and "support" booths created for tracking pace, wind, etc. were strategically placed, scaffolding was constructed and the course was spray painted, all to assist in guiding Eliud to victory.  Us regular runners here in the city were the benefactors of that bit.  INEOS hosted a few group runs leading up to race day and professionals from all parties involved, those sponsoring and tracking, could be seen on the daily in the park.

As an aside, my biggest concern in learning that Eliud was planning on attempting his run on the Hauptallee were the chestnuts.  The street is lined with age old chestnut trees and this time of year is harvest season.  That said, the trees are shaking loose all those Marone, or chestnut in German, and throwing them every which way.  Avoiding the fallen nuts would be akin to navigating an obstacle course.  I had a difficult time focusing on my runs just thinking of how off putting that would be.  Rest assured, the path taped off for Eliud to run between in the middle of the road and on race day there were "chestnut sweepers", or at least that's how I referred to them, on the ready.  I would have most assuredly done that job well.  Needless to say, the course Eliud ran was tested time and again.  Both for exact measurements of distance and feasibility for the actual semantics of running.  I am sure chestnuts and all were taken into account.

INEOS' campaign, "no human is limited", surely proved it's validity through Eliud's race time.  The partnership was inspiring, as is Eliud, the man himself.  He is commonly referred to as "the boss man" at his training camp in Kenya and his calm presence exudes a wisdom that goes beyond running and has far reaching implications.  His demeanor, attitude, or whatever you choose to label it was tangible in interviews leading up to the event as well as during the race and following.  Eliud dripped with confidence and his presence was demanding in a non threatening way.  I can't help but think that these attributes were contributing factors to his success.  And possibly, a reason why this partnership with INEOS and the words, "no human is limited" will inspire success and be an encouragement to  the masses.

Let me offer a glimpse into the emotional journey I found myself in on that Saturday morning on the Hauptallee.  I was not running.  In no way was I participating in the strategy or support.  I was not a member of the media or was I any other contributing part in this well oiled machine.  I was a spectator.  Someone who, as a runner, relates on the smallest scale to the dedication, commitment and sacrifice that an endeavor such as this entails.  Physical strength is not the lone requirement, the mental capacity to endure, to push beyond the limits and persevere might just be the most difficult.  Leaving aside the expectations set by oneself and taking to the pavement in the midst of an undertaking to this extreme scale would be most challenging.  Or at least I imagine so.

Yet, as I sauntered up to the gate with Husband and a friend, I was taken aback when Eliud and his pace setters passed us for the first time.  He was relaxed.  It was obvious in the way his shoulders were low, no pulsing veins in his neck, not even a clenched jaw line.  Oh, wait, is it just me that runs this way?  Maybe.  He is a professional after all.  Anyhow, tears slowly began to fall.  My stomach fluttered and I was keenly aware of the enormity of the morning.  Each and every time he ran past I experienced this same reaction.  Then, over the PA system, interviews with his wife and children were being broad casted.  His wife and children!  Whom until this very day had never witnessed him crossing a finish line in person.  Ever.  And here they were.  In Vienna, on what proved to be a most historical day.  That alone was enough to send my emotions into overdrive.  What an optimistic gesture from Eliud.  It was then I knew that this would be the day his record would come to fruition.  And of all places for it to be, but The Prater, in Vienna.

Returning to the emotional journey I went on that day.  I clenched my friends arm as he prepared to run past us for the last time and found myself jumping up and down enthusiastically, all while chanting, "he's going to do it".  Well, not only did he do it but he did it faster than the estimations.  Faster than what was thought to be humanly possible.  He floated across the finish line and the crowd erupted into applause, cheering and chanting and the Prater roared with elation.  And you know who the first person he ran to was?  His wife.  Then his children.  I was undone.  My heart melted into a puddle right there on the Hauptallee.  Flags were raised, a victory lap was taken and we, the crowd, joined in celebrating Eliud's time, as if he carried us all across the finish line with him.

He defied the odds.  The statistics.  The experts.  He surpassed the limits, hence the mantra, "no human is limited".  Being present for this momentous spectacle was beyond awe inspiring.  From the mouth of Eliud himself, "With a strong heart and a good mind, you can do it".  He proved that to be true for certain.  And now, may we all take that to heart, and with a bit of help from each other, we can defy our own limits.  Whatever they may be.



Comments

Popular Posts