Twenty Two...Delaney Style

Delaney Lucille,

You my dear daughter have now entered your twenty second year on this spinning orb.  There is a significance with each birth-day reached and this one is no different.  Never mind you are celebrating amidst a global pandemic, while you work from home (mostly), and are experiencing life in new ways, as we all are.  Not less significant by any means.  And it is worth noting, for memories sake.  

I have witnessed a transformation from you in these past twelve months.  An unfolding of yourself, almost as if during the sweet embrace of self acceptance you have become reacquainted with your person.  Your soul.  You are stepping into becoming.  Searching for the tether to your heart and unlocking the divine within.  Carrying all that beauty and offering it to the world in a way that only you are able to. 

While your year of twenty one was not quite what you had imagined, you did share around the table recently, that it has been instructive.  Slowing down and resting is not an instinct oft acted upon and a lesson has been learned during COVID times.  You've poured your affection into Maggie, the pup and briefly into Moose as well.  Another lesson learned.  Growth opportunities abound.  Being in nature has been therapeutic, you once told me.  Additional ink has been added to your body.  Works of art, with meaning and without.  Each for you alone.  You've protested and spoken out and educated and activated on beliefs and on behalf of your sister and the oppressed.  I have been on the receiving end of those lessons as well, you continue to teach me so much.  And you call me out, and for that I am grateful.  Accountability is important.  You have shown up.  Time and time again, for those you love.  You've used your voice and advocated for yourself too.  In all the ways.  I've seen a recognition and acknowledgement of gifting, your writing and ability to use words in a powerful way.  Harness that and pour all you have into using it for good.  For yourself and others.  This is the way forward.  You've navigated being immobile, as in no travel, and are practicing being still.  I think that is important.  To be with ourselves.  To love ourselves.  To be kind to ourselves.  I hope you know and are learning how to do just that.   

Continue to long for deep connection and more.  More love.  More activism.  More change.  More adventure.  More learning and unlearning.  More people to befriend.  More kindness and more compassion towards yourself.  More empathy.  More intuitiveness.  More clarity.  More direction.  More wandering.  More wondering.  More questions asked.  More questions answered.  More and different ways to walk in this world.  More of you.  And all that is now and all yet to be.

As I write all the "more" statements", I am conflicted.  Conflicted because I so want for you to be content and not striving.  Nor do I hope for complacency or complicity for you.  It is possible to know and be so self aware that we understand the difference.  That is the hope.  That you would know.  Deep within, without doubt or fear.  Or maybe because of them.  And with them.  They can both be great teachers.  If we allow it.  

You, dear daughter, make circles into horseshoes, dance parties exponentially more fun, and when you speak of your pain there is a tenderness that is present.  Pay attention to that.  Your words carry power and as I've listened to you rise up in the current movement, I hear LOVE in action.  

 For this year of twenty two, (an aside, I only hear your voice saying "22", in that way you do, I won't ever be able to un-hear that in my mind): Keep on being present.  Keep on being you.  All of you.  Everywhere and always.  I hope that you feel deeply loved and heard and seen in the year ahead.  May silver linings abound.  I hope you are able to do the next right thing for you with confidence and authenticity.  Remaining true to your inner self and what she needs.  May you feel all the feelings without fear and if fear presents itself may curiosity ask why and then hold safe space to process.  Goodness, I love you so dear daughter.  May this next spin around the sun be your best.   

Madre xx


Comments

Popular Posts