My Birthday

 My forty third birthday. And an unusual one at that. I felt celebrated and seen and so deeply loved. That's a beautiful thing, you know. To be honored in such a way that your life is deemed important, worthy of a party. The gathering was intimate, my favorite people, sans William, around the table, glasses raised and dishes of Israeli food shared and passed. Our laughter filled the room. When the laughter subsided and our smiles faded, the conversation continued. I made a wish and blew out candles. A nostalgic cake was enjoyed. Presents opened, cards read, games played and the candles melted late into the night. It was one of those evenings where I gave the clock no attention. No one noticed the glasses refilled and emptied again and again, and the dishes remained in the sink until the following morning. Needless to say, the very best. 

After all the goodness and life settled again I reread the card Jared wrote. Sometimes I find myself doing that. Tucking away the handwritten notes and reading them once more. Savoring the gift that words can be. In lieu of my traditional year in review, Jared wrote one for me, in my birthday card. I'll share it here. Because what your person sees in you is important to acknowledge; And is oft missed while you're in the midst of living that one, wild and precious life. So here it is, Jared's version of my year of forty two. In partnership with a few of my own additions.

* another international move

* managed change in routine with covid closeness

* took a hard stand for racial justice and the future of our girl

* flexed your protest muscle

* challenged the notion and expectation of family

* bailed our girl out of jail

* took care of our girls in need

* started the journey of taking care of yourself

* restarted your university journey 

* relocated our boy back to Austria

* celebrated birthdays and holidays differently

* handled the ever changing plans to visit William

* almost forgot your Tik-Tok dance moves

Added by me:

* published my first two articles on sites other than my own blog

* went one entire year without being on an airplane

* baked my first loaf of sourdough bread

* found pieces of myself I didn't know were missing

*  earned a spot on the Dean's list

* became a plant mom

* changed my mind about countless "things", again and again

Whilst I know a year lived is filled with so much more than what is represented on this page, I will say this does offer a broad covering. Edited and revised. No fluff allowed. Real and raw, transparent and dealt in silver linings. Forty two was indeed brutiful. I am ready to embrace the universe's offerings for forty three. Whatever that may be. May I find myself dealing hope and staring in awe at the expanse of love. Humbled by those around me. Prepared to encounter the new. Living in the brutiful chaos that surrounds. Staying close to my intuition. Finding ways to be uncomfortable and pressed and refined. Being me, always and everywhere. And inching closer, daily, to the very best me I can be. 

Comments

Popular Posts