Easter in Vienna


I came close to titling this post, "Easter, Viennese Style".  Then I promptly corrected my self because first, we did not celebrate Easter like the Viennese, and two, I don't even know how or what would be different than how we chose to spend our day.  Hence, you have this post.  An albeit short and tidy summary of our Easter Sunday.  I do love all the holidays.  Even the made up ones.  Easter, is most definitely not a made up holiday and we have a few family traditions that I did my best at upholding this year.  Things 3 and 4 made Nana's Easter cookies with me.  We had our golden egg hunt.  Never mind that it was with store bought colored eggs.  It was just too much for me to search the markets for white eggs that could be colored, translate the instructions for the dye, yada yada.  You get the idea.  Husband Jared and Thing 3 found brightly colored eggs at the store and I considered that another win for the living abroad category.  We make do.  We improvise.  We are nothing if not flexible.  I'll stop with the declarations.  The Things woke to their Easter "baskets", which weren't really baskets because those are at Mema's house in TN until they all move out and are actually on their own.  Sorry, we didn't have room for them in our luggage.  Things 1 and 2 had their Easter presies delivered by Mema at family dinner.  The other two opened their goodies before our breakfast.  Always a book, always chocolate and then usually a themed basket.  Things 1 and 2 had gift cards, Things 3 and 4 each had clothes and Husband Jared and I had chocolate.  I found Cadbury eggs at the English International market here and even though it was over $2 for one I splurged.  I savored each and every bit, making that egg last much longer than it should have.  Then the golden egg hunt.  Husband Jared is genius at hiding places and this year was no exception.  With only two Things in the game it took them a bit longer to find the treasure.  Thing 4 walked away the proud winner of 10 Euros and a smile bigger than his face.  His older sisters claim it was because they weren't here for competition.  We made our way to church after a yummy breakfast, praised and celebrated the resurrection and then continued that throughout the day.  A walk along the canal, an intense game of family footie that resulted in a few scrapes and bruises and then scrabble and cribbage and dinner in our jammies.  We watched, "Risen" together and then fell in to bed rested and full from a Sabbath spent lifting high the name of Jesus together.

My helpers making Nana's Easter cookies.

The board, mid game.

Winner-winner- chicken dinner!

Family dinner.

Early morning breakfast before Church, most of us were awake!  

Comments

Popular Posts