The Past Month Or So

Things 1 and 2 left our apartment the middle of May and I knew the clock was ticking.  Thing 3 had just one week remaining in Vienna.  Although the inevitable was like an elephant in the room I gave it my best in being present.  Of course all while remembering that once again this transitioning is the way it was intended.  At least somewhat.  

Thing 3 had a list prepared well in advance of all the "lasts" that she wanted to experience before leaving.  I do believe that we did better than alright in achieving most of what was on her list, with the exception of a trip to Salzburg.  That will definitely be accomplished on the next visit because this Mama has been waiting for someone to say yes to a Sound of Music themed bike ride around that city!  Tourist much?  Cheesy?  Absolutely.  And I am not one bit ashamed.  Thing 3 was allowed full control of the schedule for her last full day in the city.  The three of us were at her will.  Before that though we took a little field trip to the woods and a heuriger.  Which, in the event you are not familiar with what that is, it is a local winery.  More like a family vintner serving the newest wines and maybe a few small plates.  (To be fair, that was on her list as well.)  The particular one we visited was above par.  The setting, the wine and the food.  Everything was top notch.  A memorable afternoon for certain.  My favorite stop she chose on her day was a hidden coffee window.  Literally.  It is just a carved out walk up window serving some of the best coffee I have ever had.  And cold brew to boot, a rarity here in Europe.  Across from the coffee window from heaven stands the oldest restaurant in the city.  We had a look around and then continued our last day tour.  There was a festival set up outside Stephansdom so we stopped for a quick bite to eat and of course to take in the sights and sounds of the city.  Husband Jared and her played cribbage, we had dinner on the terrace, there was a trip to the concrete pitch for a friendly game of footie and we prayed over this next chapter for Thing 3.  Her presence is missed and for the week after she left I couldn't even look in "her" bedroom.  Never mind that I would be on my way to see her soon enough!

Sampling the local fare.

Checking out the view.

Charming.

City view.

At the pitch!

Coffee, the nectar of the gods, am I right?!

Thing 4 took this portrait of his sister and I quite like it.  

A mere six days after her departure I was on a plane to Tennessee to meet my three girlies.  We had a couple of days together, Mama and her daughters, until Thing 3 and I began our road trip to New Mexico.  Thing 1 scheduled a little coffee meet up with my book club friends, I met Thing 2's beau, we lunched with Mema and Gpa, did a bit of shopping and then home to the Horel's for dinner and snuggles.  

Most of our group!  We were missing Jeni, Andrea and Kate!

A full day, and even fuller with the jet lag.  I don't think I could put a comprehensible sentence together.  Regardless of the emotions, I was all over the place.  Literally.  The next day was for a quick dentist check in and the discovery that I would need some major work done while in TN, thus causing a flight change and extension of my trip and a delay in Thing 3 and I leaving for NM. A ripple effect, but in the end one I am grateful for.  It meant more time with Things 1 and 2 upon my return from NM.  And Thing 3 was able to have one last meet up with friends before leaving TN.  Anyhow, I must be boring you with the inane details of this trip.  Tuesday ended with family dinner at the Horel's and a rousing game of Pictionary with the littles.  We belly laughed our way through the game and it was a good last night for us all.  

Thing 3 and I were up and at 'em early to begin our adventure to Las Cruces.  Our first day's itinerary had us driving to Dallas where we would rest our weary selves.  I am happy and oh so thankful to say that our first day was uneventful in all the best ways.  I drove most of the way.  Thing 3 drove a little of the way.  We drank coffee, listened to podcasts, visited rest stops and gas stations and I watched her doze off while I took in the scenery.   I will admit here that our first scheduled stop in Dallas was none other than In N Out!  And yes, we ordered one french fry for the drive to our hotel and one for when we arrived.  Duh.  After inhaling our food we retired promptly in order to prepare for day two on the road.  

Day two on the road! 

And our journey continued.  After coffee of course, because priorities.  Another smooth day on the road and before we knew it we were pulling into the Strand's driveway.  We received quite the welcome and Thing 3 even had a gift of desert necessities waiting for her in her new room.  The next day's agenda had us at the motor vehicle department, the bank, a Target run of course and scoping out the local Starbucks for future job potential.  To say I enjoyed these life errands would be an understatement.  Every aisle we walked down, each item checked off the list, and all the laughs in-between were and are priceless.  A rite of passage if you will.  Learning to adult, as our four refer to it.  By lunch time Thing 3 was a licensed NM driver, we had information for switching her bank accounts to be independent from ours, we bought all the things from Target and we were well on our way to being locals.  OK, maybe not.  Thing 3 was definitely closer though.  We celebrated with the Strands at lunch and with a trip to the library, always one of my favorite sites to see in any city.   

New to her car purchased in TN, licensed and registered in NM!  

The adventures continued early the next morning.  I went to an intense yoga class with Aunt Maggie.  And when I say intense I think I might have sweated off about ten lb's in the hour.  No joke.  It was oh so good.  No photos of course.  Then it was on to the farmer's market, book store and lunch in Mesilla, in a restaurant with live parrots, and a little education on Billy the Kid!  I can not forget to mention that we stopped to dip our toes in the Rio Grande River.  An absolute must if you ask me!  It was a sweet day exploring with the Strands.  I loved hearing their stories and seeing their favorites.  We shared a meal around the table at Ed and Karen's and ended the night with a sunset walk, happy and full.  

The best bookstore, we could have spent hours in there.  

Reading up!

They were "listening" to a stranger talk to them about bugs and golf.  Interesting.  

The Rio Grande, toes only.  
Sorry Gracie for covering your face with my curls!  

Emme, Colin and Grace conquering the hill!  

Sunday was our last full day together.  Thing 3 and I visited a church, had some donuts, because tradition, and then met up with the Strands for the afternoon.  We kicked Uncle Aaron and Aunt Maggie out of the house and Thing 3 and I went to the pool with the kiddos.  So much fun.  Pizza and movie night was on the docket and Coco was even better than I expected.  Snuggles, stories and summer time night skies rounded out our last full together.  Monday was leaving day for me.  My flight to Nashy left in the afternoon so Thing 3 and I went for coffee and little time away after family breakfast and that the most quaint cafe.  I like to check in and observe the pulse of their hearts when we stand on the edge of these moments.  Whether it be about change, transition, newness, what have you.  It's important for me as a Mama to do this.  A taste of routine.  And an opportunity to just be.  So that is how we spent our last few hours together.  Well, that and driving to El Paso airport, with a pit stop at Cost Plus on the way.  It was a good afternoon.  Then goodbye, pardon me, see you later, time came and I squeezed her hard and whispered I love you more and turned to the terminal before I changed my mind.  That wraps up the New Mexico portion of this trip.  On to Nashy.  

Love my nieces and nephew. 

A couple of Things picked me up once again from the airport, which these days seems to be my home away from home, whatever continent I may be on.  I was emotionally spent, truly, and needed sleep.  Not to mention my dentist appointment had tension running on high.  Thing 1 was home the next day and was my designated driver and care taker after my procedure.  I don't know if I have mentioned it before but I might just be the biggest baby when it comes to dental work.  Seriously.  Sedation is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned so my recovery looks a bit different.  When all was said and done and we were on our way home I wanted ice-cream.  Thing 1 obliged and ordered me to stay put in the car.  I didn't listen, forty year old bladder again, thank you very much, so I let myself out of the truck and wandered into the WC all on my own.  Probably a bit wobbly, looking tipsy and not quite right.  Thankfully Thing 1 found me and we made our way safely home where I spent all of the day curled up on the couch.  Sleeping.  Asking for food and trying my best to feel normal.  Ugh.  I am not a cooperative patient by any means.  The next day was date day with my two eldest.  They chose the itinerary and we found ourselves in Nashy at Milk and Honey.  It is also the only photo I have of all three of us together.  Go figure.  Breakfast and long chats at the table and a fabulous waitress was just what the doctor ordered.  


The next few days were a blur of hanging out, snuggling, drinking coffee, special dinner out at a new burger restaurant in downtown Franklin, work schedules, a few impromptu dates with friends, time with the Horel's, a birthday celebration for Mema, dog walks, workouts and pool time.  And then two days before my departure the dreaded stomach virus had it's way with me.  Bed ridden for a full twenty four hours and then some was no fun.  I had to cancel plans.  My hope was that it would be gone before I had to fly and that no one else would suffer.  I had planned dates with each of the girls, same as above and Thing 1 had to cancel ours because she was struck too.  Thing 2 and I were able to sneak away to Nashy for coffee and some heart talk and it is always the best when I can do that with any of my Things.  The bonus time in TN was so, so good.  In case you were wondering, I was feeling better and did not have to fly while ill.  Thank you Jesus.    

Mema's birthday celebration and the only photo I took that night.  

Surprised this one at work and witnessed her in action!

Autumn showing off her fried rice skills!  Delish.  

And that wraps up my time in TN and stateside.  I was definitely missing my guys back in Vienna but they were sending loads of photos of their activities.  Thing 4's friend was visiting and they were sightseeing and hanging out and making memories of their own.  

Alex and Thing 4 in Stephansdom.  Representing. 

We marked our six month anniversary, if you will, of living in Vienna while I was away.  And when I returned Husband Jared was celebrating a birthday.  Jet lagged and exhausted beyond belief I fell into his arms after Thing 4 met me on the elevator and took care of my luggage.  He's the best!  Almost a full three weeks away from them and our little apartment and I missed them something fierce.  Navigating all these transitions on my own left me longing for my partner to process with and support and hug me when all that was available were tears.  There is much more to all that but for now let's continue with the birthday celebration and Father's day too!  Husband Jared had full reign of our schedule for the weekend and I must say a majority of our time was spent watching football, hello World Cup!  Seriously, our outings were based around matches and it was the absolute best.  We slept in, took naps, walked the canal, checked out the Pride festival, worshipped at church together, ate chocolate cake and shared what we love most about him around the table.  I think it was exactly the way he wanted to ring in another year of life and twenty one years as a Father.  Only thing to make it better would have been to have his three girls here with us.  

Chocolate cake, chocolate frosting, chocolate sprinkles per the birthday boy's request!

Canal strolls.

The Rathaus during Pride festival.

Birthday dinner menu: 
parmigiana chicken, olive bread, spaghetti with homemade sauce  
rucola salad with fresh Parmesan.  

Alright, what a month or so it has been.  Oh my, how could I have forgotten Thing 4's big accomplishment?  We received confirmation that our man child was offered a spot on the SK Rapid U18 team here in Vienna.  He has wanted nothing else since he was six years old.  Playing footie in Europe was and still is his dream and chosen profession.  So this is one step in that direction.  He had a friendly before I left for the states and I was able to snap this photo from the sidelines where I was a quiet observer, and maybe a proud parent too.  


There is something about watching your child step into a new chapter, one where you've seen a work ethic and a commitment beyond themselves, that is so satisfying.  Loads of life lessons in that last sentence.  For now, let me just say that I call this development a sweet God kiss.  That is what this past month has been overflowing with.  Even in the midst of see you laters, circumstantial challenges, distance and sleepless nights.  God kisses.  They are sweet.  









Comments

Popular Posts