Happy New Decade...Thing 2 Turns 20!

As per tradition, here I sit the morning of your actual birth-day bracing myself for the words about to flow onto this page. A celebration intermingled with historical documentation about your year of nineteen and a few personal thoughts on the gift of your precious life.

Deraj and I were recalling the story of your birth just the other day.  All the events that lead up to the laborious night and wee hours of the morning spent at home, waiting.  There were multiple false alarms and trips to see Dr. Sherman with your sister because I thought my water had broken or something was wrong.  None of which ever happened.  Although there may have been some bladder issues.  No need to discuss those here.  You entered this world with fury, a whirlwind of emotion and three strong pushes.  There you were, all eight pounds three ounces of you and a head full of chestnut hair.  Squishy and scrumptious and all mine.  Your first name had been decided early on and your middle name came to me like a present wrapped up in a moment of reflection the night before your birth.  My grandmother's name was Eleanor Lucille, Popi's mom.  And there it was, Lucille, Delaney Lucille.  Yes.  A precious God kiss given to me as you wiggled and tensed and prepared to enter this world.  Her impact on my life, although it was a short time, has been significant.  And you, you carry her warmness and her smile and her ability to bring people together with you everywhere you go.  Maybe just a portion of her stubbornness too.  I sat on the floor of your nursery in the early hours of the morning imagining what it would be like to have another human in my care.  Not ever doubting if there would be enough love, more like doubting my capacity to give you everything you needed.  And sometimes that doubt still exists, two decades later.

But today we celebrate your twentieth birthday.  Twenty years.  Two decades of living and spinning around the sun on this planet we call earth.  Whoa.  I think a look back at the last year of nineteen is a good place to start.  There were friend visits to Kelly Court and Clairmonte Dr., nannying, family visits, a trip to Seattle, a couple trips to Cali, a trip to Vienna, a new beau, more hours at Apple, a few concerts, a wedding, you are now officially a college student at Columbia State Community College, beach trips and navigating this newly independent path.  Appointment making, doctor visits, car crashes, and "adulting" all on your own.  Expanding and articulating your world view and political stance.  You caught a fish in Pike Place Market, got a new tattoo, or two!  Dealt with hard relationships and endings and new beginnings, friends leaving and staying and all that comes with living life.  You moved in with the Horel Family, four of our six moved to another continent.  So much change and so much travel.

There have been challenging moments and I think it is rather important to look on those, learn from them and sit with the lesson.  Allow the Holy Spirit to speak into those places where hurts and holes have been and bind them up in redemptive love and mercy and grace.  Here's to your leaning in with joy and that larger than life spirit of yours, the one that just can't seem to sit still for too long.  The next adventure is calling.  Listen and walk in the ONE the Lord has prepared for you.  Living with Him really is the best adventure ever.

So here's to your year of twenty.  Praying a banner of love and contentment over the next 365 days.  Hoping that you hear the Lord's voice in a new way this decade.  That your heart is forged in His and your sweet spirit remains true.  I pray that truth is revealed and made known in every area of your life.  I pray for divine health of mind, body and spirit.  I believe for Him to provide a community of believers to be forged around you.  And for those friendships already I pray for them to be strengthened, a force of iron sharpening iron in your life and theirs.  For your voice and your love to build bridges.  I pray for the patience to wait.  I pray for faith to move mountains.  For your life to look like no other because you are you and no one else can be you.  I pray that your smile is genuine and not a mask to hide behind.  I pray that when you are hurting and sad that you tell someone.  For courage to share, even when it 's hard and messy.  All these wishes and hopes and prayers and more I speak expectantly and with wild abandon and faith.

As I say every year, it is nothing short of a privilege to be your Madre. A gift I am continually grateful for.  Happy, happy birthday to you Thing 2.  Go and live your twentieth year rooted in Christ, trusting that you have enough in Him and He is with you always, wherever this year takes you!
I love you to the moon and back.  xo

Comments

Popular Posts