Intentions

At the beginning of this year I set a goal for myself to write three things I am thankful for each morning.  Before any other journaling or reading I scribble three gratefuls.  It really became about setting an intention to begin the day from a state of awareness.   I knew that our family had big changes that would thrust us into the new year with force and I wanted to be present in it all.  Especially when it was difficult.  Mostly so that I would have tools to counter the greyness that has potential to loom in transitions.  When entering into the act of gratitude one can not feel any other emotion.  Proven fact.  If I have the ability to choose what I am feeling, why not make a choice to begin the day in thanksgiving?

The concept of gratitude journals is not something new.  They've been on the scene for a while now.  I think at one point even Oprah had highlighted them on her show.  And we all know if Oprah was in  then a good percentage of the population knows about them also.  My statistics and social studies alone helped in making that deduction.   Wink, wink.  Needless to say, gratitude journals are a thing and I highly recommend starting one.  As in right now.  Don't wait another minute.  Get yourself a notebook, a journal, roll of butcher paper, something to write on, a trusted utensil and begin where you are and with one tiny thing you are thankful for.  Whatever that may be.  Then keep going.  And going.  I start with three everyday, maybe you'd like to start and end your day with this practice.  Or keep an ongoing list in the "notes" on your phone or other technological apparatus.  Whatever your means for documentation just think what joy it will bring when you look back in three days, two weeks, a month from now and see all those sweet gifts remembered.  Or maybe in this season it is to document the seemingly small.  I got dressed today, I made breakfast for myself, a stranger's smile on the street, the sound of rain against your window, a tiny, yellow leaf lingering on a bare tree.  When we look for the gifts they present themselves.  And in this we notice.  As if we were treasure hunters on mission.  This my friends is worth the effort and it is real and tangible.  Gratitude.  Thankfulness.  A shift in our thinking pattern.

Here are a few quotes relating to our main topic that I thought might bring a bit of encouragement to you as you set out on this noticing and acknowledging thanksgiving in your own life.
Wherever you are.

“We pray for the big things and forget to give thanks for the ordinary, small (and yet really not small) gifts.” 
― Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Life Together: The Exploration of Classical Christian Community

“The secret of contentment is knowing how to enjoy what you have, and to be able to lose all desire for things beyond your reach.”

-- Lin Yutang


“Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.”

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comments

Popular Posts