Life Savers in Wien

In lieu of a weighty post today about some far off topic lets talk practicality, shall we?  Life in Wien is complicated and wonderful and breathtaking and not ever the same.  Every day brings a new adventure, some unwarranted road block and that's not even to mention the language barrier I still experience.  Yes, friends, I am not fluent and even though I understand quite a bit more than I did upon arrival, I don't dare say I am even at an A.1 German level.  And all the other expats or those vying for residency in Austria know exactly what I am referencing here.  So given all that, what is actually working for me here?  This summer.  In these hot and sticky summer days.  Let me share.

1. Cafes
2. early morning runs
3. iced coffee making an appearance, albeit rare, but an appearance nonetheless! 
4. air conditioning in our apartment
5. public pools
6. swimming spots along the river
7. finding restaurants with air conditioning
8.  online shopping, whenever possible for household goods, etc.
9.  outdoor markets where "local" produce is abundant and flowers are plentiful, don't even get me started on the tomatoes!
10. festivals, festivals and more festivals, outdoor movies, food trucks, concerts and the list goes on and on!
11. books, Kindle reading, Hoopla reads and everything in between!  Give me all the books.
12. Netflix, I mean when I need to decompress, not talk or form complete sentences, the AC is cranked up high and the tele on, just keeping it real here.
13. meals al fresco, on our terrace, candles lit, when it's not too windy and twinkle lights on
14. Birkenstocks, these sandals make summer walking easy
15. scoot-scoots, known outside of our family as electric scooters, they are everywhere in this city and they are fun!

Comments

Popular Posts