On Prayer

Way back when this girl decided her word of the year would be "pray".  And it has been.  I do find myself praying at the most interesting times.  Lately when I'm running.  Prayer has turned into my distraction from the distance.  Praying when I'm standing in line anywhere.  Prayer when I make my coffee.  Praying when I take Polo on his walks.  Praying when I'm waiting in the car for the Things.  I've been reminded that prayer is my constant conversation with my Creator.  And shouldn't it be so?

Seems that is how I stay connected, within the boundaries of relationship.  Sharing the random thoughts that pop into my mind.  The person that is knocking at my heart.  A name I just can't shake.  Baggage being carried around on my shoulders, causing me to hunch over from it's weight.  I bring it forth in prayer.  Not the forced, methodical prayer of my yesteryear.  Words from my heart.  Those that are sometimes stuffed so deep down that it takes digging.  Prayer.  A rushed thank you uttered from grateful lips.  Sighs of relief sent up to the heavens.  Knees bowed trying to understand. 
All postures of prayer. 

That is what I have learned now ten months in.  Who could say it better than C.S. Lewis?

"I pray because I can’t help myself. I pray because I’m helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn’t change God- it changes me."
C.S. Lewis

Comments

Popular Posts