Another Birthday For Me!

Birthdays.  I love them.  I do.  Just ask my Things or Husband Jared.  They'll willingly vouch for my penchant to celebrate.  Life is a gift and each and every opportunity we have to rejoice in that should be taken full advantage of.  Hence, birthday weeks, weekends, or even months in my case.  I can justify it all!  Bring on the balloons, confetti, banners and most importantly cake.  This year Husband Jared made his first birthday cake, rainbow chip.  A nostalgic choice, I know, but they also sell Betty Crocker box cake mixes and frosting at the British import shop here in the city.  So not only did my cake selection bring back all the childhood memories it was practical as well.  And simple.  Add eggs, water and maybe oil and presto, a cake emerges.  In case you're wondering, it was delicious.  Artificial sugary goodness.

My official countdown began the day after Thing 1's birthday.  Only this year seemed a bit lackluster. It really wasn't at all, but that was just the state of my heart leading up to my big day.  A few cards arrived in the mail, I set them aside to open on my birth-day.  And then out of nowhere Husband Jared threw out a surprise for me.  To be honest, he is the actual worst with surprises.  He doesn't like them for himself and he can't contain his excitement when it comes to surprises for others.  Which reads: do not expect him to keep a surprise a secret until the reveal day.  In between Love day and my birthday he brought me my computer and told me to open it.  Waiting for me was a full two day celebration itinerary complete with pictures.  Day one included a few hours at a day spa, an experience I have never had before.  One word: delightful.  OK, maybe a few more.  Relaxing, also a bit challenging to let go and truly allow myself to relax and be in the moment but overall I think this should be prescribed once a quarter.  Also on the schedule: dinner made by my guys, breakfast at one of my favorite cafes, Thing 4's footie match and reservations at another top restaurant choice.  To say I felt celebrated and loved is an understatement.  All weekend long.

This year I spent some time reading through my journals from the previous year.  Starting close to my birthday 2018 and ending in February 2019.  I find myself becoming more reflective and introspective with each passing birthday.  Bob Goff just had a birthday as well, in fact he entered a new decade, and his family surprised him with a party.  I've talked about Mr. Goff on this blog before and the way in which he leads with love and lives his life intentionally.  His wife, Maria, posted on the social medias and said this about birthdays, "birthdays aren't about how long we've lived, but how deep we've gone in our friendships."  Well said.  And also, I felt challenged by that.  While celebrating another year lived, I want to rejoice in a life lived well and with abandon.  One in which I invest in others, pouring deep into my family and friends, my community and the kingdom work before me.  After all that is what matters.  Right?  I mean I think that.  I believe it.  At least I think I do.  So the prayer is that my life reflects that.  Words matching actions, actions matching words.  Living the best story.  Those are some thoughts on birthdays.  On living.

Also, my journals from the last year were filled with a new gratitude practice I had started; beginning each day with three gratefuls.  As I read through all the dates and lists of threes, I was reminded of how the seemingly insignificant plays a powerful role in my life.  Sunlight streaming in the window, a candle lit as I type away, music streaming through the blue tooth speaker, an ornate piece of architecture spotted on a walk, the fog lifting over the water, a run through the park, hearing a woodpecker while on a hike, a friend texting to check in, a hand written letter.  Twinkle lights, an unexpected bouquet of tulips from Husband Jared, laundry folded without being asked, coffee poured just the way I like it.  It was a good year.  Filled with an abundance of good things.  And still all the valleys and challenges too.  I found gratitude in that as well.  Maybe not immediately.  Usually not even whilst in the middle of it.  But there was and always will be some glimmer of light, hope in the darkness that will surface and struggle to find it's way to the surface.  That right there is something to be grateful for.

In the vein of celebration I'd like to note a few other highlights from this past year.  Here goes.  I had my first published piece of writing on a blog other on my own.  I've learned how to snow shoe and navigate public transport in a new city.  I am slowly, and I repeat, slowly, learning a new language.  I have read more in the last year than I have previously.  My knowledge of the enneagram has increased and my understanding of it is growing.  I learned some investment strategies alongside Thing 4.  I have hosted a gathering of strangers.  I made a dream catcher using one of Nana's doilies.  I registered for my first European half marathon.  I fulfilled a dream of traveling to Italy.  I swam and paddle boarded in the Danube.  Ok, it was a canal but still it counts.  I am learning how to meditate and incorporate the practice into my everyday.  I studied the book of 1 Peter with a group of international women.  So there you have it;  A few reflections and highlights from the year of 40 and now the start to 41.   Thanks for indulging me.

Comments

Popular Posts