January Books


I'm kicking off a new thing here on the blog for 2019.  Each month I'll share the books I read.  Fiction, non fiction and even my first audio book.  I have some feelings on that I'll add as well. Here goes, January reads:

1. "The 21 Day Brain Detox", Dr. Caroline Leaf
2. "The Invention of Wings", Sue Monk Kidd
3. "Gay Girl, Good God", Jackie Hill Perry
4. "Small Great Things", Jodi Piccoult
5. "Space at the Table", (audio book) Brad and Drew Harper

This month was filled with quite a bit of down time after our girls returned home.  Not to mention the snowy weather and grey days lend themselves to indoor activities.  I've also tried to make it a habit to carry a book with me or have one downloaded on my phone through the library app I use.  That has proved to be the most practical use of my time on public transport.  Which leads me to my personal review of audio books.  First, a disclaimer;  I have only ever listened to one audio book.  Before I put a flag in the ground and make a die hard opinion regarding them I think I may need to listen to a few more.  So now the positive.  I rather enjoyed hearing the actual voices of the authors.  Their inflections, emphasis and the voices they used when describing other people in the book or dramatic scenes was exactly how I would have pictured it if I was reading the print.  The downside.  It was a slow process.  As in painfully slow.  Then I discovered that I had the ability to speed up their reading.  Brilliant.  That made a difference.  It probably didn't help that I was listening on my runs and am accustomed to a faster pace music.  

February's read list is ambitious.  We have two different set of house guests this month so I'll be forced to get creative with my reading time.  I'd love to hear what you're reading, comment on this post and let me know.  I'm always looking for recommendations from fellow bibliophiles.  

Comments

  1. What did you think of the Caroline Leaf book? I'd love to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very good. The writing itself was quite scientific but she includes a summary at the end of each chapter that breaks down the main points. That proved to be helpful for me in processing all the information. I highly recommend it and her podcast!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts