A Birthday and a Dance, Not a Birthday Dance

Thing 1 has been seventeen for one week now.   And exactly a week ago we were gearing up to celebrate her birthday and help her and Thing 2 prepare for a winter formal dance at school.  So, if you wanted to get technical here we could say it was a "birthday dance".  The theme was roaring 20's and the girls dressed the part.  But of course.  I'm consolidating my two posts, the birthday one and the dance because it was a full day and it just seems appropriate. 
 
The birthday girl requested birthday breakfast since she would not be with us for a family dinner.  Chick Fil A was on the menu; infinite chicken minis were to be ordered along with hash browns and freshly squeezed orange juice.  Here are my peeps at the decorated birthday table, all waiting patiently, NOT, to devour the fried goodness before them.
 
Please excuse the look on Thing 4's face, I do not think he was awake just yet, maybe Thing 3 wasn't either.  Oops. 
 
When our plates were clean it was present time.  Husband Jared and I could hardly wait.  Thing 1 had a big surprise in the present pile.  
 
A new computer, not just any old lap top, a Mac Book pro air, or whatever it's called. 
 
Nonetheless she is not an easy one to surprise, she usually knows her presents for Christmas, birthdays and the like so the fact that we pulled this one off was the icing on the cake.  I love her expression in the photo above.  Sheer delight.  Maybe disbelief.  Either way, I'll take it.  Since we were all going different directions that night cake and ice cream were scheduled for the morning time.  Strawberry cake, cookies and cream ice cream.  Always.  She is the only one of the Things that does not change it up yearly.  I ask each year as we get closer to the big day but I know what the answer will be.  Wonder if it will stay the same when she gets older. 
 
Seventeen, how did that happen?
 
I don't know what it is but this frosting always runs right off the cake.  I just can't seem to figure out the consistency.  It was delicious, regardless of how it looks.  And those pearl candies, added by our resident baker, Thing 3.  A little bling for her sister. 
 
So, breakfast, presents, cake and ice cream.  Then the running began.  Thing 4 to training for footie, Thing 2 to a friend's house to have her hair done for the dance, Thing 3 left reading on the couch, in her jammies and Thing 1 and I were off for a birthday coffee, on Starbucks! 
 
Iced caramel macchiato, that's my girl! 
 
Feeling refreshed and ready to begin the process that is getting all gussied up we headed home.  There was music blaring downstairs and then without warning a beautified young lady emerged and I was speechless.  Hard to believe, maybe.  No little girl with pig tails and a skirted polo dress on, oh no, there was a young woman standing before us.  Just like that we were off once again to meet friends and Thing 2 for all the photo opps that accompany an event of this sort.  Thankfully Husband Jared and I were able to maintain our sense of humor and we stood laughing and making our girls pose for silly pictures.  It's all about the memories, right?! 
 

Call me what you will, the Things certainly did, but I forced them to pose like this with their imaginary dates.  They were each the only one in  their friend groups that didn't actually have a boy "date" for the dance.  I was trying to keep myself entertained as we were watching all the posed pictures for the night.  What's a Mama to do? 
 
This was our dance pose, what do you think? 
I know, I am one lucky woman, just look at that face!  We might have been goofy at this point, witnessing the spectacle around us. 

A Dad and his girls, well two of them at least.
 
Ooh la la! 
I can just hear my sweet friend Suzanne saying that in her lovely British accent. 
It sounds so much better that way. 

Quite possibly one of my favorites from the night.  Thing 1 was determined to photo bomb at least one picture of every couple that night.  See above.  Maybe she has a little bit of her Mama in her after all.  This was classic, open mouths, raised arms and two gorgeous couples, unaware. 
 
From here the Things allowed Husband Jared and I to accompany them to dinner.  Well, let's call it what it is, we were their meal ticket.  And we were perfectly alright with that.  I'll take any opportunity to celebrate with the birthday girl, and that we did.  No photos from dinner, all I can say is we laughed, enjoyed our meal and then watched as our two Things drove off together to dance the night away.  Bittersweet. 
 
Thing 1's birthday celebration continued with her and Thing 2 pirouetting across the dance floor and "partying" like it was 1999.  Oh wait, that was what I used to say.  Kids these days, they wouldn't say that.  I'm not really sure what they would say.  I do know that when Things 1 and 2 read this they will probably shake their heads and say, "Oh Mama", in a tone of pity.  Yep.  That's it.  That was the birthday and the dance recap.  Not together but kind of.  You know what I mean. 
 
Husband Jared and I came home and partied like it was 1999.  Except we really didn't because in 1999 we had a two year old and a one year old.  So if by partying you mean, eating dinner at 5pm, dancing to Raffi and then going to bed by 7:30pm then that is precisely what we did!  We made coffee and did our due diligence to stay awake until 11pm so that we could pick  up Thing 2 from the dance and then wait for the texts from Thing 1 so we would have confirmation that she arrived safely to her after dance destination.  Living a life of glamour and mystique over here people!  And I wouldn't trade it for the world.  I'll stop now before I cause any  more embarrassment.  Suffice to say it was a day filled with celebration and good times. 
 
 
 
 
 


Comments

Popular Posts