Delayed Gratification

Alright, I just have to share this parenting moment so I never forget what it's like to be a 12 year old. Did I really say that out loud? Do I actually have a 12 year old daughter? Whoa.

Anyhow, Makenzie received an inexpensive digital camera for Christmas. Focus on the inexpensive. Said camera has ceased to operate in the proper mode. Thankfully said 12 year old's Dad works at BB and can help. He exchanged the camera and paid the $30 dollar difference since her inexpensive camera was no longer being made. Hmmm.

Upon arrival at our home with the new camera our beloved Thing 1 was ecstatic. Can I see it, can I have it, can I hold it, I want to take pictures, does it do video? And on and on and on. You get the picture. Ha, no pun intended there, really. After telling her in my calmest voice that she would not so much as hold the camera in her darling little hands until $30 was laid in my hands she threw a tantrum. I mean a tantrum. I love this child dearly let me tell you but this girl lives her feelings, BIG! I want it, it's mine, I will have the money Saturday. Well, (me speaking now), you will have to wait until Saturday, that is what we grown ups call delayed gratification. Learn that one early and we might save many a heart ache down the road.

Needless to say she stomped her feet and shed many tears all the way to her room. Thanks for reminding me Thing 1 what it is like to want something so badly and not be able to have it. I love you!

Comments

Popular Posts