Handwritten

There is just something about opening up the mail box and finding a handwritten envelope inside.  Not an advertisement that's made to look authentic.  The real deal.  A familar return address.  Maybe a family member or a dear friend.  That is enough to make my soul do flips.  Even kart wheels and can I just say mine are fairly ugly, not for public viewing.  But I would do them if I found a letter waiting just for me. 

It seems as though this might be a lost art.  I for one desire to not let it slip away into those forgotten times where no one remembers what snail mail is or was. 

Not too long ago I received a letter in the mail from a friend whom I correspond with typically via Face book or email.  Her daughter and mine are bestest friends and have been and we have shared many memories together along the way.  First their family moved away from our "hood" as we affectionately call it, and then ours moved and then ours moved again, this time abroad.  We still managed to stay in touch.  Then we moved back to the states and our girls began writing letters back and forth.  The excitement I saw in Thing 2's face when she had an envelope waiting for her was priceless.  And then one day there was one  for me.  So special.  I squealed with glee and ran around the house waving my letter.  Silly, I know.  The Things didn't think twice, they know their Mama.  The handwritten letter that came just for me was a gift.  Far beyond the words that were on the paper.  It conveyed that my friend had thought about me.  She shared with me not only her thoughts but her time as well; Which in this day with our jam packed schedules and obligations and commitments really spoke volumes to my heart.

Now receiving handwritten notes is but one part to this equation.  The actual writing and sending of such is the other.  I love a blank card waiting for me to fill it with love.  It has been noted, pun totally intended, that I have a like for paper, or greeting cards, invitations, card stock, you name it, I like it! I see possibility.  I envision words flowing, making the recipient smile, or remember or be encouraged.  I recently was browsing the DaySpring website and stumbled upon their sweet thank you cards.  You really must take a look at their card collection.  It is so sweet.  There are countless options and all waiting with possibility.  I am sure there is someone you can think of that needs their day brightened.  Go, peruse their site, find some inspiration. 

My inspiration just arrived via the brown delivery truck this morning and I couldn't be more excited.  The doorbell rang and Polo barked and tried to no avail to be a scary guard dog.  I'm sure the man on the other side of the door was just laughing on the inside.  Anyhow, this was waiting for me.

* both from DaySpring,
the card organizer here, and the So True boxed thank you cards here

All this to say, write that card, or letter.  The one you've been meaning to.  To the friend, sister, brother, child, you've been thinking about. It is a gift as much for them as it is you. 

Encourage one another and build each other up.
1 Thessalonians 5:11 NIV

Comments

Popular Posts