Friends

 
"In Friendship…we think we have chosen our peer. In reality a few years’ difference in the dates of our births, a few more miles between certain houses, the choice of one university instead of another…the accident of a topic being raised or not raised at a first meeting—any of these chances might have kept us apart. But, for a Christian, there are, strictly speaking, no chances.      

A secret Master of Ceremonies has been at work. Christ, who said to the disciples, “Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you,” can truly say to every group of Christian friends “You have not chosen one another, but I have chosen you for one another.” The Friendship is not a reward for our discriminating and good taste in finding one another out. It is the instrument by which God reveals to each the beauties of others."
--C.S. Lewis
 
 
 
Just a few words about friends.  Old and new.  Near and far.  Heart friends.  Soul sisters.  About those we pass and wonder, should I reach out?  Yes.  Yes, you should.  Let it be so.  Those that you wouldn't choose for yourself, He chose for you.  The surprise friends and the ones that are the opposite of your inclination in every sense.  There are the ones that challenge and spur you on.  That comfort and listen.  Stand up for you and hold you up when you can't.  Need I go on?  Probably not.  When I read this quote from C. S. Lewis I couldn't help but stop and contemplate it a bit more.  How could I ever express my gratitude for those that he chose for me?  I couldn't.  I can love them and love them well.  I can thank them and Him for the beautiful collision of souls colliding.  All in His name.  Thank you sweet Jesus for the gift of friends.  For all that they represent in your kingdom.  

Comments

Popular Posts